While my hubby spent the weekend in Vegas, I enjoyed the time at home playing with Nala and finishing/beginning a few home projects.
Several years ago, I bought an inexpensive ottoman in brown “leather” for use as a coffee table in our living room. It served its purpose well but recently it started to show its wear and tear.
Instead of buying a new ottoman (and because I couldn’t find one that I really liked), I bought a few yards of faux ostrich fabric and planned to recover the ottoman. There are so many tutorials on the interwebs that I won’t waste time showing exactly what I did. (Some good ones can be found here and here). It was a fairly simple process of removing the original fabric and stapling/folding/cajoling the new fabric into place. The problem that I have with most of the tutorials is that they only require you to fold the corners and try to make it look neat. I think the corners look more professional when they are actually sewn together as opposed to folding them over. This opinion might have to do with the fact that I’m horrible at folding the corners over. Case in point:
So after living with (and hating) the folded corners for a few weeks, I decided to take the damn ottoman apart again and sew the corners properly. It was a fairly easy process (even for a beginner sewer like me) and took approximately 30 minutes to complete.
I’m happy I did it because now I feel much better about it being in the house.
Full disclosure: It took me almost 1 hour to get the stupid top of the ottoman off the base and then another 30 minutes to try to put it back on after I finished sewing. Sometimes I think the D in DIY is for Dummy because only a dummy really tries this stuff. And to make matters worse, I then started another upholstery project the next day. I still haven’t figured out what’s wrong with me. If you have any insight, let me know 🙂