Posts

Custom Tie Storage

I thought it would be a good way to end the week with an easy DIY project (which never seems to be the case!). My hubby has to wear a suit (and tie) every day for work. Accordingly, our closets were overrun with ties and traditional hanging tie storage didn’t seem to make much sense.  So here’s what I came up with:

I didn’t take many pictures of the process the first time I did this project but I recreated the same drawer in our new apartment.  It’s a much smaller drawer so not as perfect but at least we have pics!

I started out by using these custom drawer dividers.

3 Inch High Kit-White Polystyrene Drawer Dividers

These were extremely easy to use but not terribly cheap.  I think I spent $60 on 3 of these packages.  However, I only needed two packages to complete both projects so I guess that isn’t too bad.

Anyway, the drawer dividers come with these sticky strips that allow you to create as many connections as you need.

You take these boards, score them and break apart to create the dividers that attach to each of the connectors.

So here’s the process:

1. Measure the width of the object (e.g. tie) and decide how wide the space between each row needs to be.  For the purpose of my project, I determined that 4″ would be the perfect size and would allow me to maximize the tiny drawer space.

2. Then you apply the connector strips on each side of the drawer.

3. Insert the divider in the connector strip to  make sure that your measurements were correct.

4. Then apply the connector strips spaced out thru the drawer.

5. Insert all the dividers.

6. Voila! Roll your ties, sort (sorta) by color, and you now have great tie storage.

This project was fairly simple and took less than an hour to complete.  But the best part is that my hubby actually uses it and rolls his ties back up at the end of the day.  No more ties on the back of chairs, the end of the bed, etc.  It’s the little things in life.

Pin this:

Renovation Crazy: Master Bedroom Suite Plans

Things finally seem to be moving in terms of starting the renovation and I’ve actually received some decent news lately.  (How sad is it that my decent news is that there isn’t asbestos in my entire ceiling:)).  Anyway, let’s ride this wave of decent news and talk about  the new plans for the master bedroom.  Here is how the master bedroom and bathroom looks now:

It might be helpful to look at the original floorplan:

And here is the new floorplan:

So we’re tearing down all the walls in the bathroom and closet.  Then we will steal about 8 inches from the bedroom portion to create a 4-piece bathroom and a true walk-in closet.  The hubby really wanted a water closet so we’ve carved out some space for it (there will actually be a pocket door there).

We worked on several different iterations on this design to try to maximize the small space while still providing a true master suite with a separate shower and tub.  The costs to create this new space is significantly more than I expected but I believe that you should focus on making the rooms that you spend the most time in work the way you want.  Also, kitchens and bathrooms sell houses, so blowing our budget in this room should reap good rewards down the line.

Unfortunately, I’m all over the map with the actual design elements of the room so I won’t have anything to share for a while.  I was obsessed with having an all-marble bathroom with gorgeous herringbone tile in the shower.  Similar to this:

But I’m rethinking that plan because I’m concerned that it will be too “white” and boring.  I think those rooms are gorgeous but I live for color and just wonder if I’ll get tired of it quickly.  So I’m back at square one with design.  I’ll be sure to add updates as I figure it out.